Source : sitemaps.org
Sitemaps are an easy way for webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. In its simplest form, a Sitemap is an XML file that lists URLs for a site along with additional metadata about each URL (when it was last updated, how often it usually changes, and how important it is, relative to other URLs in the site) so that search engines can more intelligently crawl the site.
Web crawlers usually discover pages from links within the site and from other sites. Sitemaps supplement this data to allow crawlers that support Sitemaps to pick up all URLs in the Sitemap and learn about those URLs using the associated metadata. Using the Sitemap protocol does not guarantee that web pages are included in search engines, but provides hints for web crawlers to do a better job of crawling your site.
1. Google Sitemap Generator – Google Sitemap Generator is a tool installed on your web server to generate the Sitemaps automatically. Unlike many other third party Sitemap generation tools, Google Sitemap Generator takes a different approach: it will monitor your web server traffic, and detect updates to your website automatically.
2. Perl Sitemap Generator – The Perl Sitemap Generator is a Perl script that creates a Sitemap for your site using the Sitemap Protocol. This script can create Sitemaps from URL lists, web server directories, access logs, or from other sitemaps.
3. phpSitemapNG – phpSitemapNG can create sitemap files in different formats as e.g. the xml-based Google Sitemaps format, RSS, txt or html-based
4. PHP Google Search Sitemap Generator Script – You can use this script to create the google sitemap XML for your site automatically. The script will recursively visit all files on your site and create a sitemap XML file in the format needed by Google.
5. Sitemap With Emacs Lisp – Emacs Lisp program is designed for static websites. The program input is a directory. It will traverse the dir and generate a sitemap line for each html and or xml file.
1. SitemapGen4j – SitemapGen4j is a library to generate XML sitemaps in Java.
2. Sitemap_gen.asp – A simple ASP script (Using File System Object) to automatically produce sitemaps for a webserver, in the Google Sitemap Protocol (GSP)
3. google_sitemap.class.php – This class provides a simple way to build a site map in the format defined by Google. This way it can help any webmaster to have their sites more visible in Google, rather than just waiting for Google crawlers find the new or the updated site pages.
1. XML-Sitemaps Generator – XML-Sitemaps.com is a site specializing in sitemap software that generates XML, HTML and TXT sitemaps for webmasters to help get better crawling from search engines such as Google, MSN and Yahoo!
2. Expression Web Extras – Create perfectly formatted XML sitemaps for Google, Yahoo!, Bing, and others with a single click.
3. Xenu’s Link Sleuth – Xenu’s Link Sleuth (TM) checks Web sites for broken links and also create XML Sitemaps. Link verification is done on “normal” links, images, frames, plug-ins, backgrounds, local image maps, style sheets, scripts and java applets. It displays a continously updated list of URLs which you can sort by different criteria.
4. PowerMapper – PowerMapper is an automatic site map creation tool for information architects, usability analysts and web developers.
5. SiteXpert – SiteXpert creates and keep up-to-date a cross-browser site map quickly and easily
6. Devintelligence Sitemapgenerator – A simple and easy to use Sitemap Generator tool to help you make Google sitemaps.
7. Sitemap Writer Pro – Sitemap Writer Pro is a professional XML sitemap generator program. With this program you can automatically generate XML sitemaps for your websites, keep up-to-date, edit them, upload to web server and submit to all search engines that support XML sitemaps